How to Use a Hair Mask
How to Use a Hair Mask
Taking care of your hair can be quite challenging. Making regular visits to a hair salon can be time and budget consuming. There are different haircare solutions in the market today, but it may be overwhelming to choose the right product for your hair. But, one relatively simple and effective option you may want to try using is a hair mask.
What does a Hair Mask do?
Hair masks are quite similar to hair conditioners. They help restore moisture and nutrients that normally get stripped off from your hair throughout the day. However, compared to conditioners, hair masks contain higher amounts of concentrated nutrients, oils, and minerals. They typically also have to be left on your hair longer to achieve the desired effect.
Using a hair mask has a variety of benefits, depending on the ingredients it contains, but it can normally help your hair:
- Look less frizzy and dry
- Lear a shinier and softer appearance
- Be less prone to breakage
- Obtain healthier scalp
You might also come across argan hair masks or Moroccan oil hair masks. These products contain argan oil—an ingredient derived from the fruit of the argan tree, which is found in Morocco. This oil is rich in omega fatty acids that help nurture and moisturize skin and hair. It also has Vitamin E, which helps protect hair from damage. With this slew of benefits, it’s no wonder more hair masks are marketed to highlight this ingredient.
Choosing the Right Hair Mask
Hair masks are made with a plethora of ingredients and come in variants that work best for a particular hair type. Choose a mask that’s suitable for the type of hair you have or one that matches your needs.
For Dry Hair and Scalp
Hair masks that promote moisture and oil production would work well for dry and hair scalp. Argan hair masks or Moroccan oil hair masks are ideal, as these types of hair masks boast great moisturizing properties on top of protecting hair from damage after use.
For Thick and Curly Hair
Extra-potent hair masks with powerful moisturizing properties are useful for thick hair. Since thick or curly hair types are heavier and tend to be drier, they would need a stronger hair mask that can provide deep conditioning. Some hair masks can also provide extra protection for your curls, natural or otherwise, so they could remain soft and bouncy.
For Oily hair
Naturally oily hair can be a handful, and using hair masks that are infused with natural ingredients and antioxidants can help nurture your oily scalp without adding too much to your hair’s natural shine and moisture.
How to Use a Hair Mask
No matter which kind of hair mask you get, it’s still best to apply it right after a shower. That way, your hair would be free from dirt and grime, and your scalp would be able to absorb the nutrients in the mask better.
There are also certain steps you can take to ensure that the hair mask gets evenly distributed across your hair and scalp. Once you’re ready, simply follow the steps below:
- Wear a towel or use an old t-shirt to protect your clothes from unwanted staining
- Divide your hair into sections that are easy to manage
- Use a small comb or brush, or use your fingers to spread the mask thoroughly through your hair and scalp
- Work the hair mask from your scalp and the roots of your hair towards the tips, then massage your scalp again to distribute the mixture evenly
- Use a wide-toothed comb to run through your hair and scalp, and make sure that the mask is evenly spread across your hair, especially on your temples and close to your nape
- If you have a shower cap or plastic wrap, use this to cover your hair. You can also use a heated or steamed towel to wrap your hair, so that the heat can help the ingredients soak in better into your hair and scalp.
- Let the hair mask rest for up to 30 minutes or longer, depending on the instructions on the package.
- After the wait, wash off the mask using cool water. This helps your hair retain moisture that the hair mask has infused, leading to a better, more long-lasting effect.
- Dry and style your hair as desired.
- Hair masks can be used as frequently as you want, but a good starting point is to use it once a week.
Natural is Better
It would be ideal to use hair masks that are made with natural ingredients. You would want to make sure that the mask contains no harmful chemicals that can damage your hair in the long run. The Moroccan Gold Series hair mask is made of pure and unrefined argan oil of the highest quality, combined with natural vitamins, nutrients, antioxidants, and Keratin to provide the most natural way of nourishing your hair and scalp.